When you receive permanent change of station orders, it is important to get organized. And the best way to start is to create a PCS checklist to help you stay in command of your family’s move.
Stress less with solid preparation and planning. AHRN’s relocation experts want to help make sure your PCS goes as smoothly as possible. A current PCS checklist and a detailed home inventory as discussed here are important tools to embrace early in your move.
Even your PCS checklist needs to be organized! The DOD’s experts at Plan My Move offer custom interactive and printable PCS checklists to help you to stay on top of your family’s move in the way that works best for you. Here’s a glimpse of what your checklist should include.
PCS Checklist by Topic
- Health Care
- Household Goods
If you have pets & you’re scheduled for a PCS or OCONUS move, click here for a checklist of what they will need. Plus, tons of tips, advice, & information you need to know about moving with pets.
PCS Checklist by Timeline
- Schedule an appointment at your Transportation Office.
- Go to Move.mil to set up your Defense Property System (DPS) account.
- Schedule your move in DPS.
- Protect Your PCS With A Home Inventory Part 1
- Separate items that won’t be packed.
- Check for damaged or missing items upon delivery.
- Complete the DPS survey to help improve future moves.
PCS Inventory List
While your homeowners or personal property insurance coverage may be excellent, if you don’t know exactly what you own and how much it’s worth, dealing with the aftermath of an emergency will be a challenge. You may also receive reimbursement for less than your possessions are worth without a current home inventory.
Home inventories are one of the most useful overlooked, underutilized investments you can make for your future. This is especially important for military families. Frequent moves, lost shipments, damaged goods and possession loss make the benefits of a home inventory well worth the time and trouble.
A thorough home inventory will help you:
- Track your belongings before and after a PCS
- Decide how much insurance you need
- Expedite claims processes after an emergency
- Provide the supporting documentation you need to file taxes
Record these details in your PCS inventory list whether written or digital:
- Name of the item
- Condition of the item
- Brand and description
- Purchased date, cost at purchase and estimated current value
- Serial number if applicable
Additional details may include: Antique history, manufacturer or country item was purchased. If you’re in the process of paying for something, note the debt holder, the amount of remaining debt on the item, monthly payment amount and other relevant details.
Click here to download your free PDF copy.
Home Inventory Template
AHRN’s tried-and-true printable PCS checklist and home inventory template is free and a terrific way to take action today. The sooner you start, the easier it will be!
Get ready with AHRN’s 5 Best Tips in 2 Minutes: Protect Your PCS With A Home Inventory Part 2.
More PCS Checklist Tips!
- Make packing a first-week box and overnight bag a part of your PCS checklist. After a long day or more of moving or traveling, you’ll be grateful to know exactly where the essentials are.
- Give yourself enough time. Don’t be surprised that you might move one day before or after the date you select.
- Schedule travel at least two days after your date to avoid conflict.
- If you have receipts saved from large purchases, copy and include them with your other paperwork. The more physical proof of value and documentation you have to include with your inventory, the better.
- Do not attempt to inventory by memory! You must be present to do a physical walk-through, or mistakes are almost certain to be made.
- Video is the best way to document that electronics are in working order. Be sure to get organized before you start recording.
- Save your work! Be sure your home inventory is backed up and easily accessible.
- Don’t forget the garage, attic, and the inside of your vehicles.
We all can use a little help during a PCS move — from Camp Pendleton in California to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and everywhere in between!
That’s why you need to register at AHRN today! Let us calculate your BAH, match your Housing Profile with available listings and connect you to moving tools and resources!
We are ready 24/7 to lend a hand in your search for a perfect home.
More Like This
- PCS Move: An In-Depth Guide & 15 Expert Tips (2021 Edition)
- What is Your PCS Weight Allowance for 2021? In-Depth Guide & 11 Tips
Leave a Reply