When decorating your home for the holidays, there are a number of traditional holiday plants that are toxic to pets. These often colorful plants can be new temptations for your pets. Here is a list of toxic holiday plants and their symptoms if ingested by pets.
Most toxic to cats, although can also affect dogs. Bulb contains more toxin than leaves or flower stalk. Common toxicity symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and decreased appetite. More severe symptoms: tremors, kidney failure and convulsions.
Mild vomiting and diarrhea if eaten.
Foul-tasting, beet-like stem and roots contain toxin that produces intestinal issues if eaten.
Tastes bad; most animals avoid it. Can produce lip smacking, vomiting, diarrhea or possibly depression.
All plant parts are toxic. The leaves taste terrible, which usually discourages chewing. Toxicity symptoms: an irritated mouth and gastritis; in worst cases, dizziness or coma.
All plant parts are toxic; leaves and unripe fruit more so. Symptoms: nausea or vomiting; if enough is consumed, seizures.
Possesses intense toxic potential. Symptoms: depression and vomiting after eating, but no more serious symptoms.
May produce a stomach ache, vomiting or diarrhea in dogs and excessive drooling in cats. Tastes bad, making it unlikely that pets will eat this plant.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call a veterinarian immediately.
When you call, have the following information available:
- name of the plant consumed
- part of the plant consumed (leaf, berry, etc.)
- how much of the plant was consumed
- approximate time the plant was consumed
- your pet’s age, weight and current condition/symptoms
If you take your pet to a vet clinic, collect any chewed or regurgitated leaves to show the veterinarian.
The AHRN Team wishes you (and your pets) a wonderful and safe holiday season!