The calendar says March – which means spring is on the way despite much of the country dealing with severe winter weather. If you’re trapped inside waiting for the warm up you have the perfect opportunity to plan your spring cleaning and get a jump start on an easier PCS.
Cleaning ahead of a PCS may seem pointless. You will be going through everything then anyway, right? Well, doing a thorough spring clean now actually will save you time and energy as the inevitable unexpected happens once you’re closer to the move.
Get yourself started by decluttering. Why put yourself through the extra effort of moving and unpacking things that you don’t want or need?
- Make 3 boxes and put them in an accessible but out of the way place (just inside the garage if you have one) and label them: donate, store and sell.
- Go through your home room by room and separate out items that belong in those boxes. As they fill up, sell or donate items.
- As you go, throw out items that you don’t want, are not worth selling and are not suitable for donation.
2. Home Inventory
If you don’t keep one already, this is the perfect time to start a home inventory. A complete inventory of your belongings is a powerful tool in completing a successful PCS, making claims simpler and helping you to identify if anything is missing.
3. Get A Head Start On Cleaning
Whether you are moving out of installation housing or a home in the community, you’ll have some degree of move out cleaning to do. Cut down on the amount of work you’ll be doing in those hectic last days with a thorough cleaning now. Pay particular attention to your appliances and the out of the way spaces that are not cleaned often.
4. Outside Clean Up
Part of a move out is ensuring that your home meets standards on the outside as well. Spring cleaning the outside of your home might include:
- Fertilizing the lawn
- Putting down grass seed
- Trimming bushes
- Weeding flower beds or mulch areas.
- Edging around the driveway and sidewalk
- Power washing the driveway
- Staining and repairing the fencing
5. Maintenance To Do List
In the course of living in your room, there will be small maintenance tasks that need to be done. Making that list now gives you plenty of time to forward appropriate tasks to your property manager or housing office and take care of any that you will handle.
Make Your Life Easier
PCSing is challenging on its own: out processing, packing up your house, traveling to your new duty station, and making a new home in a new place. Small things that we can do to smooth that process make the changes that much easier to deal with. With a thorough spring cleaning, your home will be prepped and ready for your PCS!
We want to know:
What spring cleaning task would make your PCS easier?